Advanced Interactive Design | Final Website

23/5/26 - 13/8/26 (Week 7 - Week 14)

Kimberly Miaw Jya Nee | 0366836

Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media | Taylor's University


Advanced Interactive Design

Final Website


Table of Contents



Instructions




Task

For our final project, we are required to design and develop an interactive website using Adobe Animate. The website should include interactive elements and animations to create an engaging experience for users.

Asset Creation
I started the development process by drawing and preparing the visual assets that would be used throughout the website in Adobe Illustrator. I kept the design consistent in style so that the different pages would feel connected once they were brought into Adobe Animate.

For the homepage, I designed it as the entrance to a risograph studio, so the user feels like they are entering the space rather than simply browsing a website. The storefront acts as the introduction to the overall theme, with illustrated details and signage used to establish the playful, handmade visual style of the website. The navigation is also integrated into the environment so that it feels like part of the studio rather than a separate website menu.

Fig. 1. Process of Designing Home Page in Illustrator

For the Story page, I designed the space to resemble a poster wall commonly found in creative studios. This continues the concept of bringing users inside the risograph studio. The wall offers a glimpse into the story and history of risograph printing through information displayed across different papers. I chose to overlap the papers to make the wall feel more natural and similar to an actual studio wall filled with prints and materials. The overlapping layout also became part of the interaction. Users can click on each paper to bring it forward when they want to read it, which adds a sense of exploration to the page.

Fig. 2. Process of Designing Story Page in Illustrator

For the Machine page, I wanted the risograph machine to become the main focus of the space. Instead of explaining the machine through a separate block of text, I placed numbered points directly around its different parts. Users can click on each number to learn about the function of that specific component. I also animated the internal drum so that it continuously rotates. This adds movement to the page and gives users a simple visual reference to how the machine operates. The overall design turns the machine into something users can explore for themselves rather than just look at as a static image.

Fig. 3. Process of Designing Machine Page in Illustrator

Overall, the asset creation process in Adobe Illustrator went quite smoothly for me. I was able to establish the visual style and create the assets according to the concept I had planned. However, due to time constraints, I only managed to complete the assets for three pages instead of the full website I initially intended to create.

Adobe Animate
Once the assets were completed, I saved each page as a seperate AI file. I then imported the files into Adobe Animate while keeping the artwork separated into layers. This made it easier to organise, select, animate, and add interactions to individual elements.

Project Setup:
  • Document Type: HTML5 Canvas
  • Canvas Size: 1024 × 768 px
  • Frame Rate: 30 FPS
Publish Settings:
  • Center Stage (Both)
  • Make Responsive (Both) > Scale to Fit Visible Area (Fit in View)

1. Organising Layers
After importing the assets, I organised the different elements into separate layers. This made the workspace easier to manage and allowed me to work on individual elements without affecting the rest of the design.

2. Creating Symbols
I converted elements that required animation or interaction into Movie Clip and Button symbols. Movie Clips were mainly used for animated and interactive elements, while Buttons were used for clickable navigation elements.

3. Adding Instance Names
I assigned instance names to the interactive symbols. These names were later used to identify and control specific elements through JavaScript.

4. Adding Animation
I added simple animations to make the website feel more dynamic. This included looping movements and continuous animations for selected elements across the pages.

5. Adding Interactive Elements
I prepared clickable elements such as the overlapping papers, numbered machine parts, and pop-up information panels. These were later connected through JavaScript to create the final interactions.

After setting up the animations and interactive elements, I moved on to the coding process.

Home Page

For the homepage, I added code to make the navigation buttons clickable. The Story and Machine buttons were connected to their respective pages, while the open sign was also made clickable as another way to enter the Story page.

Fig. 4. Process of Dividing Layers for Home Page

For the open sign, I created a simple swaying animation across frames 1, 30, and 90. I initially experimented with tweening, but the movement looked odd, it was swaying from the centre of the sign instead of the top point. I did try to move the anchor point but it remained the same. Instead, I manually adjusted the position of the sign at each frame to create a slightly choppy swaying motion, which also fits the handmade visual style of the website.

Fig. 5. Process of Animating Door Sign in Adobe Animate

The homepage only contains navigation interactions, so the coding for this page was kept simple. The code connects each clickable button to its respective page and allows users to navigate through the website.

Fig. 6. Process of Coding for Homepage Navigation

Story Page 

For the Story page, I wanted users to interact with the overlapping papers instead of simply reading everything at once. The idea was to recreate the feeling of looking through papers on a studio poster wall, where users can choose which piece they want to read and explore the story of risograph at their own pace.

Fig. 7. Process of Dividing Layers for Story Page

For the coding, I first assigned instance names to each clickable paper and its corresponding information panel. I then used JavaScript to detect which paper the user clicked and display the correct information while hiding the others. The information can also be closed after reading so users can continue exploring the other papers. Getting the interaction to work properly took several rounds of testing and troubleshooting, especially because of the overlapping elements, but I eventually managed to achieve the intended interaction.

Fig. 8. Process of Coding for Story Interaction

Fig. 9. Process of Coding for Story Interaction & Navigation

Machine Page

For the Machine page, I wanted the risograph machine itself to be the main focus. Instead of explaining the machine through a large amount of text, I placed numbered points around its different components for users to explore. When users select a number, they can learn more about that specific part and its function. I also added a continuous spinning animation to the drum to give the machine more movement and make the page feel less static.

Fig. 10. Process of Dividing Layers for Machine Page

The drum animation was quite straightforward to create. I divided the rotation across frames 30, 60, 90, and 120, with each frame continuing the rotation until the drum completed a full turn. I then added a Classic Tween between the frames to make the spinning motion smooth and set it to loop continuously.

Fig. 11. Process of Animating Spinning Drum

For the coding, I assigned instance names to each numbered button and its corresponding information panel. I then used JavaScript to make each number clickable and reveal the correct information when selected. Only the selected information is shown at a time, which keeps the page from becoming too crowded. This page also required quite a lot of troubleshooting, especially when setting up all eight interactive points and making sure each one was connected to the correct information. After several adjustments to the symbols, instance names, and code, I managed to get all eight interactions working correctly.

Fig. 12. Process of Coding for Story Interaction

Fig. 13. Process of Coding for Machine Navigation


AI Disclosure Statement
AI was used during the development process, but mainly as an assistant for the coding stage. I used ChatGPT to help with JavaScript implementation, troubleshoot errors, and understand coding issues I encountered while working in Adobe Animate. This was especially helpful as Adobe Animate can be quite difficult to troubleshoot, and there are limited tutorials available online for some of the specific interactions I wanted to achieve. All other aspects of the project, including the concept, visual design, asset creation, layout, and animation decisions, were created by me and were not AI-generated.

Due to time constraints and technical difficulties encountered during the final development stage, I was unable to fully connect the individual pages of the website. To avoid further affecting the completed interactions, I have published the pages separately. Each page remains fully functional individually, including its intended animations and interactive elements.

Home:
Story:
Machine:

Google Drive:

Fig. 14. We So Riso Webpage Video Testing


Reflection

Experience
At first, I thought using Adobe Animate to create a website would be easier than designing and building everything through code, like what I had done in Interactive Design. However, I quickly realised that this was not entirely the case. Adobe Animate did make certain parts of the process easier, especially when it came to adding animations to the website. However, adding interactive buttons and other functional elements was more complicated than I expected and took me quite a long time to figure out.

Observation
The most time-consuming part of the project was troubleshooting the code. Sometimes, an issue that seemed very complicated ended up being caused by something really simple that I had misunderstood or overlooked. It's frustrating, but also quite funny when I finally realised what the problem was (or maybe I was just going insane). I do admit that coding is not my strongest suit, but I find it quite satisfying once I manage to get something working correctly.

Findings
Throughout this project, I think my biggest challenge was time. This semester has been especially busy even though I am only taking four modules, and balancing this project with my other modules did not always allow me to spend as much time as I wanted to figure out technical issues or further develop the website. If I had more time, I would have liked to complete more pages and refine the overall website further. Despite this, I am quite happy with what I managed to complete, especially considering the technical challenges I faced throughout the development process.


Quick Links



Thank You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital & Social Media Communication | Task 3: Campaign Proposal, Content Calendar & Key Visual Design

Typography | Task 3: Type Design & Communication