Major Project I | Project
23/4/26 - 29/7/26 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Kimberly Miaw Jya Nee | 0366836
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media | Taylor's University
Major Project I
Project
Table of Contents
1.
Instructions
2.
Project
3.
Feedback
4.
Reflection
Instructions
Project
Major Project 1 is a self-directed module where we work on our graduation
project based on our chosen specialisation. We had an assigned lecturer to
guide us throughout, but the direction, decisions, and execution were
entirely up to us. We also had the option to work individually or in a
group, and I chose to do it individually.
This module runs alongside its continuation, Major Project 2, which takes
place in the following short semester. Both modules are part of the same
ongoing project, so whatever is build in MP1 carries directly into MP2.
For Major Project 1, we were given a proposal brief that outlined the
expectations for the semester. It covered everything from defining our
project concept and problem statement, to setting objectives, identifying
our target audience, analysing existing work in the field, and developing
our initial design direction. We were also expected to plan our
development schedule through to Major Project 2. Essentially, MP1 is where
we lay the full groundwork for the graduation project, from research and
ideation all the way to early design development.
Process Work
While trying to decide on a direction for my graduation project, I was
choosing between doing a brand identity project with an original
character, or something publication related. Then I suddenly got the
idea to continue my Advanced Typography final project, which was a set
of North Borneo motif inspired typographic ornaments. From there, I
thought it could be interesting to develop those traditional motifs into
a full collection and present them in an ornament specimen book,
something like a coffee table book.
After consulting with Ms Anis though, she suggested that I could do
something like a zine kit instead, which would be more suitable if I
wanted to make it more engaging especially for younger audiences. A zine
kit still maintains the publication aspect, but also gives me room to
add additional companion items alongside it. It is also a similar idea
to the snail mail trend which has been popular recently.
What My Project Covers
2. Paddy field ornament
3. Roots of plant ornament
4. Paddy stalk ornament
5. Unduk Ngadau figure ornament
6. Sun ornament
7. Himpogot ornament
8. Pinakol ornament
2. Kadazan-Dusun Culture
3. Author's note
4. The story of Huminodun and Unduk Ngadau
5. Full ornament set showcase
6. Visual glossary
Observation
Findings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huminodun
https://www.sabahtravel.com/articles/post/what-is-unduk-ngadau-meaning-history-and-how-to-experience-it-during-kaamatan
- Branding: wordmark, colour palette, and typography system for the Tadau series
- Typography: two themed ornament sets, Huminodun and Unduk Ngadau, built on a structured pixel grid system, to be released as a downloadable ornament font
- Publishing: editorial layout and original written content retelling the story of Huminodun and Unduk Ngadau
- Packaging: folded envelope and belly band based on the Unduk Ngadau sash design, containing a themed postcard, washi tape, and limited series collectible card
- Digital Presence: Instagram and microsite serving as lookbook and shopfront (MP2)
Huminodun Themed Typographic Ornament
I started with the Huminodun themed ornaments first, which has 4
designs in total:
1. Huminodun Figure
2. Paddy Field (carried over from Advanced Typography)
3. Paddy Stalk
4. Roots of Plant
2. Paddy Field (carried over from Advanced Typography)
3. Paddy Stalk
4. Roots of Plant
Since Huminodun is a mythical figure, there is no accurate
depiction of how she looked, so I referenced photos, films, and
artworks that are based on her. She is typically depicted wearing
traditional Kadazan attire, which I used as a starting point for
the figure ornament. For the paddy stalk, I referenced a close-up
image of a paddy grain, taking note of its structure before adding
leaves on either side. The roots ornament followed a similar
approach, using a real plant root structure as reference. It was
probably the trickiest one to design since I wanted to capture the
natural, flowing quality of roots within the constraints of a
pixel grid.
After finalising the body ornaments, I moved on to designing the
matching top and bottom ornaments for each element. Since the body
ornaments are already quite detailed, I kept the top/bottom
versions simpler by comparison.
Fig. 2. Process of Designing Huminodun Top/Bottom
Ornaments
The Huminodun top/bottom ornament features a sun symbol,
drawn from descriptions in the stories I read where she is
often referred to as "as radiant as the sun." The paddy
stalk shares the same sun symbol too, which is to
represent the idea that the paddy grows under the sun. The
roots ornament took a different approach, where the top
and bottom act as a continuation of the root that
completes the full structure once all the ornaments are
arranged together.
Unduk Ngadau Themed Typographic Ornament
The Unduk Ngadau ornaments follow the same process, designed one
by one. There are 4 in total:
1. Unduk Ngadau Figure
2. Sun
3. Himpongot — Coin Belt
4. Pinakol — Beaded Necklace (carried over from Advanced Typography)
Lastly, the Unduk Ngadau set also includes 3 divider and 3 central or corner ornaments. The sun divider and central/corner ornaments are new additions designed for this set, while the remaining ones are carried over from the Below the Wind ornament set. The overall theme for the dividers and central/corner ornaments is inspired by traditional textile motifs.
2. Sun
3. Himpongot — Coin Belt
4. Pinakol — Beaded Necklace (carried over from Advanced Typography)
The female figure is actually one of the first ornaments I
designed for MP1. Before settling on this theme, I was working on
a Magunatip themed set, which is a traditional bamboo dance. The
dancers also wear traditional Kadazan attire, just with a
different headpiece. When I switched themes, I reused the female
dancer base and modified the head instead of starting from
scratch. Unduk Ngadau contestants are typically recognised by
their distinct hair, styled into a neat bun updo, which is what I
referenced for the figure.
The sun ornament is more abstract in comparison. I referenced the
sun and star motif found on Kain Dastar, a traditional textile
commonly used to make the iconic male headpiece called Sigah. The
Himpongot, which is the coin belt worn as part of the traditional
female attire, was probably the trickiest ornament in this set. I
managed to fit two coin pieces into the design, and they connect
visually as you stack the ornaments on top of each other.
The Unduk Ngadau figure shares the same sun motif in its top and
bottom ornament, since Unduk Ngadau means something along the
lines of "crowned by sunlight." The sun ornament itself is
already quite detailed as a body ornament, so I kept its
top/bottom version simple. The Himpongot top and bottom ornament
follows a similar approach to the roots, acting as a
continuation of the body ornament so the full coin belt reads as
one complete piece when stacked together.
Lastly, the Unduk Ngadau set also includes 3 divider and 3 central or corner ornaments. The sun divider and central/corner ornaments are new additions designed for this set, while the remaining ones are carried over from the Below the Wind ornament set. The overall theme for the dividers and central/corner ornaments is inspired by traditional textile motifs.
Fig. 5. Process of Designing Unduk Ngadau Divider and
Central/Corner Ornaments
Born From Harvest: Typographic Ornaments
For Major Project 1, this is my typographic ornament
collection for the first issue of the zine kit. It will be
further refined and expanded, then imported into Fontlab
before heading Major Project 2.
Fig. 6. Born From Harvest: Huminodun & Unduk Ngadau -
Typographic Ornaments
Born From Harvest: Zine
Once I completed the ornaments, I moved on to working on the zine. I
started by reading different sources on the story of Huminodun and
found that while the core storyline is mostly consistent across
sources, some go into more detail. One interesting detail I came
across was that the famine in the story was actually caused by
Huminodun's brother, which is what set everything in motion in the
first place.
For the zine, I decided to tell the story in short, bite-sized
sections rather than long paragraphs, with each ornament introduced
alongside the part of the story it represents. This way the reader
can see the significance of each ornament as the narrative unfolds.
From there, the story naturally ties into Unduk Ngadau and how the
pageant connects back to Huminodun's legacy.
Storyline Draft:
1. Huminodun figure ornament
This is the story of Huminodun, the daughter of Kinoingan, the
creator god of the Kadazan people. She was said to be gentle,
beloved, and full of grace.
2. Paddy field ornament
But her people were suffering. The land could not produce enough to
feed them, and famine was setting in. Her father searched for a
solution, but there was only one way forward.
3. Roots of plant ornament
Huminodun made the choice herself. She offered her own body to the
earth so that her people could live. Where she was laid to rest, the
first crops began to grow.
4. Paddy stalk ornament
From her came the padi, the rice that the Kadazan people have
depended on ever since. It is said that every grain carries a piece
of her spirit. To waste rice is to forget what it cost.
5. Unduk Ngadau figure ornament
To honour her sacrifice, the Kadazan-Dusun people celebrate Tadau
Kaamatan, the harvest festival, at the end of every May. It is a
time of gratitude, of music, and of coming together.
6. Sun ornament
As part of the celebrations, a titleholder is chosen and named Unduk
Ngadau, which means crowned by sunlight. She is not just chosen for
her appearance, but for the grace and spirit she carries, as a
living embodiment of Huminodun.
7. Himpogot ornament
She wears the traditional Kadazan dress, including the Himpogot, a
handcrafted coin belt that has been part of the culture for
generations. Each piece of the outfit is intentional, nothing is
purely decorative.
8. Pinakol ornament
The Pinakol necklace completes the look. Its patterns have been
passed down through families long before they were ever documented,
kept alive the same way Huminodun's story has been, through memory,
celebration, and the people who choose to carry it forward.
Zine Table of Contents:
1. Introduction 2. Kadazan-Dusun Culture
3. Author's note
4. The story of Huminodun and Unduk Ngadau
5. Full ornament set showcase
6. Visual glossary
Final Compilation
Fig. 7. Proposal Presentation (PDF)
Fig. 8. Born From Harvest Typographic Ornaments
Fig. 9. Born From Harvest Zine (PDF)
Fig. 10. Final Presentation (PDF)
Fig. 9. Born From Harvest Zine (PDF)
Feedback
Fig. 11. Project Management Document (PDF)
Reflection
Experience
I quite enjoyed working on this module, and I'm glad I landed on an
idea that I'm genuinely interested in. That interest made a
difference by motivating me to keep working on it rather than
dreading it the way certain projects do. Being able to bring
something personal into my work gave me another reason to put my
whole heart into it.
Observation
Overall, I do think there are still many things to refine. I believe
I could produce a stronger outcome than what I have now, but given
the time constraints and the workload of balancing multiple modules,
this is the best I could deliver for this stage. Now that foundation
is there, I'm looking forward to push it further in Major Project 2.
Findings
Working on a culturally themed project taught me that you cannot
just take what you see visually and reinterpret it without
understanding the meaning and significance behind it. When working
with a culture that is rich in history but not widely known,
thorough research is not optional.
I sometimes also found myself questioning whether I was appreciating
or appropriating the culture, and whether I even had the right to be
telling this story. But I have not seen much representation of
Kadazan culture in design school or academic settings, and that is
exactly why I think it matters. I'm just glad to be able to contribute
something, even if it's small.
Further Readings
Huminodunhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huminodun
Unduk Ngadau
https://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unduk_Ngadauhttps://www.sabahtravel.com/articles/post/what-is-unduk-ngadau-meaning-history-and-how-to-experience-it-during-kaamatan
Performing Rice Farming Rituals by Penampang Kadazan of East
Malaysia: Between Sacred Ritual and Secular Performance
https://jati.um.edu.my/article/view/6208
https://jati.um.edu.my/article/view/6208
Thank You
Comments
Post a Comment